Welcome

I started this blog in 2010 when there were 11 weeks to go before my next Ironman triathlon. People have found it interesting (mainly my Mum!) so I continue to write.
The Ironman is a long distance triathlon; Swim 2.4miles, Cycle 112miles, Run 26.2 miles (marathon). I have competed in one every year since 2004. I hope this blog can help others see what is involved. I find the process of writing it makes me more accountable and motivates me to do the harder sessions when i'm not feeling like it!

Saturday 22 May 2010

So, up late looking after baby Will - woke late, then sent to ASDA etc
Managed to negotiate an afternoon cycle

Absolutely fantastic weather - remembered sun cream this time

So aim was to cycle for 5-6 hours - the time was the goal (not speed etc etc)
Felt pretty good all the way round. Not on the race bike - need to get that out soon.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/34168070

Followed this with a 2-3km run just to educate the body - had to be mindful of calf, otherwise would have done 10km with first 6km IMP (ironman pace)

For the first time in a few years got "hot foot" this is a very painful condition which can cause you to stop. It's very common and is the reason for all these fancy insoles with "metatarsal buttons" etc It's caused by a nerve receiving pressure/getting squashed.
Plan - need to move the cleat on that side so foot is more forward.

This reminded me of a common problem with training - there is a lot of advice out there and a lot of things you can try out, equipment, technique, nutrition, psychological strategies etc etc, everyone intends to follow the advice and give these things a go. Nobody does, until the race is upon us. Then everyone changes everything as their insecurity increases. Half the field on race day have a piece of equipment they haven't used or have bought at the expo the day before.

In the back of my mind I know I should try weighing myself pre and post exercise, recording the ambient temperature and then calculating my sweat rate. Have never done it. What do you think? sounds like a good idea but also highly obsessional.

Probably the most important thing to do is to eat the same thing training as you will racing. It took me 4 years and 6 ironmans until I started doing this.
The cause of 90% of DNFs (Did not finish) is stomach shut down. You have a lot of adrenaline going through your body and your stomach is a little twitchy (remember exams). You dump a lot of unfamiliar highly refined food in there and you vomit - you can't take on any calories, you need calories to keep going forward so race over.
Interestingly your gut is trainable! it gets used to the food you eat and gets better at processing it.
So you need to find what suits you at the intensities you plan racing at - this could take a few weeks.
Then use this every training session.

So reminder for me
1. move left foot forwards
2. Race bike - get used to aero position again
3. sweat rate?

No comments:

Post a Comment