Welcome

I started this blog in 2010 when there were 11 weeks to go before my next Ironman triathlon. People have found it interesting (mainly my Mum!) so I continue to write.
The Ironman is a long distance triathlon; Swim 2.4miles, Cycle 112miles, Run 26.2 miles (marathon). I have competed in one every year since 2004. I hope this blog can help others see what is involved. I find the process of writing it makes me more accountable and motivates me to do the harder sessions when i'm not feeling like it!

Thursday 23 June 2011

Swim

Endurance-tempo set
500m warm up - easy
6 x 50m as (easy/hard hard/easy hard/hard) x 2
6 x 400m all with pull. Set 2 and 4 with paddles at IMP. 50 sec rest between each.
8 x 50m warm down.

Total = 3.6km

This was a big session. I have only ever done 4 x 400m at IMP. Didn't know whether i'd be able to step up to another two. I'm fairly new to using the pull buoy as well. Was about 3-4 seconds off by set 5. Ditched the pull buoy for the final set and was about 5 seconds ahead for the final set.
Found it much easier in the sets following using the paddles. The amount of effort to go that extra bit faster is huge and wouldn't be worth it in a race. My main technique difficulty was keeping my hand facing the back wall and not letting it slice through the water. More wrist strength needed?

So today is what is called a "break through" session, i.e. more than before - these are important and help with the confidence and help to demonstrate a progression in the right direction. The art to it all is knowing when to include these - it's easy to try and do too many too quickly.

Otherwise it was a massive childcare day with countless nappies changed and hand washing.

No comments:

Post a Comment