Welcome

I started this blog in 2010 when there were 11 weeks to go before my next Ironman triathlon. People have found it interesting (mainly my Mum!) so I continue to write.
The Ironman is a long distance triathlon; Swim 2.4miles, Cycle 112miles, Run 26.2 miles (marathon). I have competed in one every year since 2004. I hope this blog can help others see what is involved. I find the process of writing it makes me more accountable and motivates me to do the harder sessions when i'm not feeling like it!

Tuesday 30 August 2011

(AM) Core 
I follow a routine from Greg McMillan He does a core DVD
Level 3.3 takes 30mins;
1. Rolling plank - 20 reps each leg (my left side is definitely weaker than the right)
2. Scissor Kicks - 3x20 reps
3. Bridge - 20 reps
4. Metronome - 25 reps
5. Prone superman - 10reps / 10sec hold / 10reps
6. Swiss ball cross crunch - 20 reps (the girl in the video holds a weight - no way could I do that yet)
7. Modified Jane Fonda - 3 x 20 reps both sides
8. Reverse sit up 20 reps - Slow going down, fast up.
9. Donkey kick - 10 reps / 10 sec hold / 10 reps
10. Roll up - 20 reps

There were clicks and clunks that come from all over the place - more so on the left - don't know what to make of them, they have always been there.
The exercises I find hardest are definitely the rolling plank and metronome. A year ago I couldn't do them in one go but can now. I'll feel it tomorrow.
I was looking around on youtube to see if there were any examples and came across one by Nike there's a load of good stuff there - it's "Nike training club" and directed at women. She does it all a bit too quickly but has saved me making a video! There's a free app as well - I've got it on the phone now and will give it a go (can't find one for men!)

A lot of the exercises above need good technique - mine was a little off following the interval running yesterday and a sore left knee.

(PM) Swim
400m warm up
20 x 100m on 15 sec rest middle 5 with paddles all at 60 strokes/min
Cool down

- unfortunately it didn't feel great like it did on Saturday - don't know why. I might suit longer sets to get the rhythm or the core work could have had an impact.
- very hungry this evening.

Had an email toady from an app developer - they are doing a a fitness/diet app and wanted my take on keeping motivation up etc, I've replied with a few things and will think about some more. I think a lot has to do with intrinsic v extrinsic motivation. There's a good book called Drive by Daniel Pink on this.

Also had a really lovely email from Nick Rose - I had a read of his blog and found that his story has been very similar to mine. He got to Hawaii in 2009, and has given me some great advice. Check out his blog at http://nickrose33.blogspot.com/

Other wise it's been a busy day - had a puncture with George and Will in the tricycle - that was really tough - keeping them both in the box, lifting it up, initially filling it with that latex puncture repair stuff (didn't work). I found I could change the inner tube without taking the wheel off - only for the new tyre to explode with a very loud bang 500m up the road. It's funny how things pan out though as now stranded a lovely couple gave me and the boys a lift home and the husband pushed the bike back to the house - amazing, thank you. They also have a disabled child so we talked about the uphill struggles we all have. I'm getting much better at receiving help. If I could remain that calm come ironman if I have a puncture i'll be doing well.



No comments:

Post a Comment