Welcome

I started this blog in 2010 when there were 11 weeks to go before my next Ironman triathlon. People have found it interesting (mainly my Mum!) so I continue to write.
The Ironman is a long distance triathlon; Swim 2.4miles, Cycle 112miles, Run 26.2 miles (marathon). I have competed in one every year since 2004. I hope this blog can help others see what is involved. I find the process of writing it makes me more accountable and motivates me to do the harder sessions when i'm not feeling like it!

Wednesday 7 September 2011

Gym
Some eccentric leg work - single leg press, calf raises
Swiss ball single leg hamstring curls - a killer for me.
Glute stuff
Trigger point rolling
- After completing a learning module on the internet yesterday (bmj learning) It appears in terms of rehab from injury etc, strengthening is far better a therapy than stretching and massage . I have been focusing far too much I think on stretching so will introduce more gym work.

Sauna
30mins with out a break - 23mins on the top shelf! 7 on bottom.
This was the hardest session yet - luckily there were plenty of people to talk to to take my mind off it. I'm going to back off from this now in terms of frequency - I'm getting goose bumps during the day which is apparently a good sign that you have adapted to the heat. It also takes 2-3days to start to loose this. They do sap your energy for the other sessions so it'll be good to do less.

Turbo
60min as 1min on 1min off 250W x 60rpm
The sauna really wiped me out so I nearly skipped this session. Managed to do this after feeding Will and George and putting them to bed - Ella was out all evening. I had planned to do 2hours but had to reassess. I'm still tinkering around with the "shoe pedal interface" but am really comfortable in the new aero position now.

The calorie counting app at mynetdiary doesn't seem to be working. My weight is fairly static at 2kg heavier than for the UK race. There's still a month to go but if it's all muscle thats not a problem!
My sore calf from the 10km on Sunday has settled - the eccentric leg work at the gym is meant to help. There's a recommended youtube clip about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment